Sunday, April 14, 2013

So, We Joined A Gym.

I'm not known for being in shape.  I'm also not known for being a healthy eater.  My favorite thing to do is lounge in my recliner, eat something chocolate, and drink a Cherry Coke.  So, deciding to get in better shape is a pretty big deal, but it's also something that I've said many times before.  Joining a gym is new, though, and for the first time, in a long time, I'm actually motivated.

I decided to blog about my "journey to healthier lifestyle land," not because I think I will inspire others by my huge success.  But, because I think it might be a little laughable along the way.  Did I mention that I really, really love junk food?  And, maybe if I write about it, it might help me stay a little motivated.

So, what got me motivated enough to give my money to a place that doesn't serve me food or provided me with a new outfit?  A couple of things.

The real world reason.  I'm starting to feel my age.  I don't think I act 39.  In my mind, I'm much younger.   I don't even like to admit that I'm 39.  I've been jokingly lying about my age for so many years that I was a little surprised (a little depressed) this year when I realized that I'm only a year from 40.   That reality is bad enough, but I'm starting to feel like an almost 40 year old.  I get tired quicker and I can't pretend to be 29 if I can't even walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffiing.  Of course, I've always been this way.  I've never had much lung power and people used to ask if I had Asthma when I was a kid.  So, maybe it's only in my head that it's gotten worse.  But, perception is reality, as my Dad always said, and if it gets me motivated, then it's all good.  :)

My other (and clearly more important! ha) reason is cosplay.  What is cosplay?  

From the urban dictionary - "Literally, Costume Play.  Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character (usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character)."

We absolutely love going to conventions, as a family, dressed as our favorite characters.  We have dressed as Batman villains, Doctor Who characters, Avengers, and other cool characters. 






This year at DragonCon, we are going as the Justice League.  Lizzie will be Wonder Woman, Antwan will be Batman, William will be Green Arrow, Brian will be Superman, and I will be a female version of the Flash.  I work corsets into my costumes whenever I can and this will be no exception.  Corsets are pretty amazing and can make you look much thinner than you are.  They successfully squish your fat in, but they also squish it up.  My Flash is not going to be very flashy if I'm showing the wrong kind of extra skin.  .

Brian's the one that suggested a gym because he also needs to get in better shape before he puts on a snazzy skin-tight blue unitard.  So, with a brilliant montage of Emily and Brian work-out sessions running through my head, I hopped on-line and signed us up for free 7 day passes at Just Fitness.  :).

So, we got there and had the official talk with Mr. Gym guy.  I checked off my goals on the sheet.  I want to get in better shape - check.   I want to lose weight.  - check.  There wasn't a box that said I want to look good in a super hero costume, of course.  But, I didn't have any urge to share this goal with Mr. Gym Guy because, really, what was the point?  I didn't feel like explaining it.  Brian had other ideas, though.  :)

When he was asked what got us interested in joining a gym, Brian looked at me with what I could only describe as a gleam in his eye and asked, "Can I tell him?" 

I looked at him with a "please, don't" look (which apparently, looks like my "sure, whatever" look), lied and said "Go ahead."

Now, I am not ashamed of our love of costuming, but it's definitely something that a lot of people don't understand.  So, here I was in a place that I was already uncomfortable in, listening to my husband explain to this guy that we are cosplayers and he needed to be in better shape so he could be Superman, I was embarrassed.  I say that I was listening because I couldn't bring myself to look.  haha.

Ever the professional, the guy didn't miss a beat and said that Labor Day was far enough way and we had plenty of time to get ready for our costumes.  So, we traded in our 7 day passes for a membership with no orientation fee.  We signed papers, were given fancy key chains, and  we were members of a gym!

The next day, we headed to the gym for the first time.  Of course, I made sure to have a couple of cookies first, you know, for energy. ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment